#check credit history
Checking and Correcting Your Credit History
1. Get your annual credit report. This site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure, commonly called a credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
2. Review your report’s entries:
- Contact the credit agency about any errors.
- They will investigate and respond in about 30 days.
- Consider contacting the creditor yourself.
- Be prepared to provide additional information.
- Document all your inquiries.
- Ask the issuer of old credit cards or accounts to report them closed.
- Request that they inform the credit agencies so it’s reflected in your report.
- Ensure any unpaid items are current prior to applying.
- Follow up with the creditor to work out a payment plan.
- Tell your home mortgage consultant about any incorrect information if you’ve already applied. They can reorder an updated report after the credit agency makes corrections.
Are you looking to improve your credit before you apply?
- You may benefit from the insight and information in our Smarter Credit TM center.
- Speak with a home mortgage consultant about your situation and ask about loan programs with flexible credit guidelines.