The Nautical Institute
For Maritime Professionals
Become a member and enjoy some great benefits.
- Formal acknowledgement of your professional status. including being able to display your Nautical Institute membership on your CV, business card, email signature, website etc
- Network with colleagues, prospective employers and customers at local Institute branch events and seminars – and receive a CPD certificate demonstrating your commitment to ongoing learning
- Protection against the very real threat of criminalisation through legal fees insurance cover for all Nautical Institute members
- Monthly complementary copy of Seaways , our highly respected maritime journal (delivered to you as a printed magazine but also readable online in the password-protected Members’ Area of our website)
- Listen to and view presentations given at key Nautical Institute events through NI Radio
- An independently validated CPD record you can show to a present or future employer as evidence of your continuing professional development, using our ‘CPD Online’ facility
- Heavily discounted entry to a variety of leading maritime conferences and events around the world
- Online technical forums. helping you to access the collective wisdom of your Institute colleagues
- A representative voice at IMO, IALA and other forums on key policy issues
- New Associate Fellow (AFNI) grade – for those in command or in senior management
- 30% discount on our specialist maritime books and self-study schemes
- Jobs Board, online membership upgrade facilityand regulare-newsletter
How much does it cost to be a member?
Our most common grade of membership is ‘MNI’, the cost of which is 127 per year (plus a one-off joining fee of 25). Or it could be as little as 63 per year (plus 15 one-off joining fee) if you live in a Less Developed Country (LDC) economically. (Please note: in many countries fees paid to professional bodies such as The Nautical Institute are allowable for tax deduction purposes.)
For full details of membership categories and fees please download our brochure.
What we are working on for you.
- Improving competence and core skills
- Promoting specialist skills
- Stress, fatigue and hours of work/rest
- Watchkeeping practices and shiphandling in the era of integrated bridge systems
- Marine Resource Management and leadership issues
- Countering the Criminalisation of seafarers
Webinar: an overview of the benefits of Institute membership
James Spear MNI, United States of America
Why did I join The Nautical Institute? Simple: professional development. Through its Command Seminars, CPD programme and suite of publications, the NI provides unparalleled growth opportunities across all stages of one’s career. Also, for younger members like myself, the informal networking opportunities are an invaluable chance to meet others.
Tom Field MNI, United Kingdom
As a cadet, the prospect of a career in the dynamic maritime industry seemed daunting. Then I came across Seaways. I found that behind this informative publication was The Nautical Institute, a network of mariners with deep and wide-ranging experience. The more I engaged with the NI, the easier it became to keep my skills and knowledge at the cutting edge.
Sign-up for our free e-newsletter!
Captain Sivaraman Krishnamurthi FNI, India
Since the day I answered the call of the sea 30 years ago, I always knew sharing knowledge and professional expertise was important to my career and would take me beyond just a certificate of competency. Membership of The Nautical Institute showed me how. My only regret is that I didn’t join sooner
Deirdre Lane MNI, Republic of Ireland
From the discount on books, to being able to voice my opinion as part of the Sea Going Correspondence Group, to Seaways magazine enabling me to keep up to date with the latest developments from mariners themselves, membership of the Institute has afforded me benefits that have spanned from cadet to ship to shore.