#how do i obtain a free credit report
How to Get Free Credit Reports
One of the first step to help you better understand and improve your credit is to get your credit reports. Your reports give you a better understanding of what s going on, and offer you the opportunity to spot mistakes that you may want to dispute .
What is a Credit Report
A credit report is a record of your borrowing and debt repayment activities. There are three main reporting agencies in the United States, i.e. Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion; and each keeps their own record about you.
Your report lists credit accounts such as your mortgages, student loans, car loans, personal loans, and credit card accounts; the balances; and history of payments. It also contains major credit activities such as bankruptcy and tax lein.
Financial institutions, such as lenders and credit card companies, use the information in your credit report as the main reference point when you apply for a loan or a credit card.
How to Get Free Credit Reports from AnnualCreditReport.com
The best and absolutely free way to get your credit reports from all three reporting agencies is through AnnualCreditReport.com. To get your report:
- Go to AnnualCreditReport.com
- Select your State and click Request Report
- Enter your information and click Continue
- Pick one of the credit bureaus I strongly suggest picking only one (see below) and click Next
- Read the instruction and click Next
- From this point the instruction may varies depending on the credit bureau (I m using Experian ):
- Enter the last 4-digit of your Social Security Number and click Submit
- Skip all the marketing stuff, go to No thanks, I just want my free , and click Annual Credit Report
- Check the Terms and Conditions box and click Submit
- Answer questions to verify that you are you and click Submit
- If you pass the verification, your free credit report will be show to you. You can print your report and keep it for your record.
Why You Should Get Only One Report at a Time
Although the credit reports are free, you can only get one report per year from each credit bureau. A strategy to help you monitor your credit more evenly is to order only one credit report at a time, wait 4 months, then order a new credit report from another bureau. For example, you can use the following pattern: