#free online credit check
More from the nerds
Many of the offers appearing on this site are from advertisers who compensate us to be listed on our site.
Compensation may impact which products we review and write about and how and where they appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear.
Any evaluation, advice, opinion or guidance provided by us or editorialized by us within this website such as bank reviews, product reviews or editorial content is in no way affected by or based upon compensation from our advertisers.
For a list of all of our advertising partners, click here
‘> Advertiser Disclosure
NerdWallet’s Top Online Checking Accounts
You can trust that we maintain strict editorial integrity in our writing and assessments; however, we receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners and get approved. Here’s how we make money .
Online checking has come a long way since the days of its earliest adopters. Now, even many traditional banks have embraced the hallmarks of online-only institutions, including free ATM access, robust websites and mobile-friendly features such as remote check deposit.
Best ATM options: Ally Interest Checking
at Ally Bank
For online fans who rely heavily on ATMs, Ally can’t be beat, offering customers:
- Fee-free use of Allpoint s tens of thousands of U.S. ATMs.
- No Ally fees for any ATMs in the U.S.
- Refunds of up to $10 per statement cycle for fees incurred at non-Allpoint, domestic cash machines.
Ally also offers a great digital experience, with all the basics of online banking covered in an easy-to-use package. Customers can even conduct their banking business on Amazon Kindle, a rarity among online-only banks.
Ally caters to people who want strong tech tools and fee-free ATMs.
Best for heavy overdrafters: Capital One 360 Checking
Capital One 360’s checking offering gives you two ways to handle overdrafts:
- You can apply for an overdraft line of credit, a short-term borrowing option with a reasonable interest rate and no transfer fees.
- Without a line of credit, the bank will decline to pay charges that you don’t have enough cash to cover.
In other words, you keep yourself out of trouble by having either no overdraft services or an exceptionally affordable option that costs you a fraction of typical overdraft fees.
Capital One 360 also offers fee-free access to Allpoint ATMs, billed as one out of every 12 ATMs in the U.S. And as with most debit cards, you can also get cash back with no fee at many stores.
If you want to avoid overdraft fees and, Capital One 360 offers a stellar checking account.
Best customer service options: Ally Interest Checking
at Ally Bank
Not only is Ally’s ATM access top-notch, it has also made customer service a priority. Among its offerings:
- A call center staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Real-time chat support.
- Secure messaging in online banking.
- Nonsecure messaging via a form on the main Ally website.
- The option to reach out to Ally on Twitter.